FRETS.COM Illustrated Glossary

One word or two?
© Frank Ford, 9/6/98 Photos by FF

A fingerrest (finger rest?) is much like a pickguard except that it is elevated from the face of the instrument to provide a place to, you guessed it, rest your fingers.

Fingerrests are usually called pickguards, although there is no need for a guard on these instruments because the strings are so far from the face that a pick wouldn't touch, let alone scratch it.

Some fingerrests are elegantly designed and subtly blend with the instrument.

Some fingerrests are a fashion statement unto themselves:

Gibson is generally credited with the innovation of the elevated fingerrest, and patented the device in 1909.

Personally, I like to spell it as one word, "fingerrest."

Back to Glossary

Back to Index Page