FRETS.COM Illustrated Glossary

It's a small thing
Mitered Purfling
© Frank Ford, 2/7/01; Photos by FF

Instrument makers often like to show off their attention to detail and workmanship by having the purfling meet at the corners, like a picture frame:

The little angles where the purfling lines meet are called "miters" if they form these nice little frames.

Here's another instrument with mitered purflings:

And, here's one without:

Most factory made steel string guitars do not have mitered purfling.

Here's an elevated fingerrest with mitered purfling:

While mitered purfling may be considered optional on a steel string guitar back, a raised fingerrest like this one virtually always has mitered purfling. Go figure. . .

Back to Glossary

Back to Index Page