FRETS.COM Illustrated Glossary

At the tail ene of the instrument
© Frank Ford, 9/13/98 Photos by FF

All stringed instruments with moveable bridges need to have a place to anchor the strings. Most of the time, that's at the "tailpiece."

This archtop jazz guitar has an elegant carved ebony tailpiece:

This Maccaferri-style jazz guitar has a tailpiece formed from sheet metal:

Another sheet metal tailpiece, this time on a mandolin:

All banjos need tailpieces, too:

Back to Glossary

Back to Index Page