FRETS.COM Illustrated Glossary

What's it for?
© Frank Ford, 9/6/98 Photos by FF

A volute is a raised, curved area carved into the back of an instrument neck behind the nut, where there is a transition from the peghead to the shaft of the neck:

Sometimes this volute is called a "handstop." Some people suggest that it's there to reinforce the area behind the truss rod adjusting nut pocket, but relatively few instruments with truss rods actually have volutes.

I assume it's more of a style thing, harking back to some earlier instruments. . .

Back to Glossary

Back to Index Page