Not Visegrip, "Vice Grip"
Mill Vise Grip

© Frank Ford 2008; Photos by FF

I didn't quite know what to call this thing other than that.  It's not a vise handle - vises have handles for tightening.  This is a gizmo for gripping the vise so you can lift it safely.

It's another one of those "why didn't I think of it" items I got from reading a metalworking forum.  Nothing more than a brilliant little piece of engineering - it's a piece of pretty much anything - in this case, aluminum - with pins that stick fore and aft into the vise jaw cap screw sockets.  Tighten the vise against this handle, grip, or whatever it is, and there's absolutely no chance it will slip out when you use it to lift a heavy milling vise:

Mine has a curved top section because that what it had when it was a piece of 1/2" scrap aluminum plate.

Back to Machining Index